Are manicures and pedicures worth it?

One of the most favored past times of teenage girls is going to the salon. There’s nothing like the feeling of a fresh manicure or pedicure. And for that pasty skin? Just go to the tanning booth. But all of those vanity extras really add up.
Hays Academy of Hair Design has Spa Manicures for $15 and pedicures for $20. According to Salon 1007 in downtown Hays, it’s manicures and pedicures can cost up to $40. But that includes an hour massage, spa treatment and Gellish nail polish.
A tanning package: around $40 for 10 uses and $60 for an unlimited package in a month at Paradise Tanning and Cuts. It’s $22 for a full body spray tan.
Many people wonder why girls, and even guys sometimes, spend this excessive amount on looks.
“It’s a waste of money,” freshman Germain Burns said. “You could go out in the sun for the same tan.”
It’s not only girls who have an opinion on this. Guys weighed in as well.
“It’s not worth it,” freshman Keenan Rolf said. “It’s what’s on the inside that counts.”
But some people believe on certain occasions it’s worth it.
“I don’t really tan but I get manicures for my birthday sometimes,” senior Sydni Pfannenstiel said. “It’s really nice to get as a gift but not all the time.”
Some people think they have a better idea how to spend that money.
“You could use that money better by spending it on things you need, like food,” senior Margaret Moore said. “Or give it to charity. Nails are not for looking pretty. They’re for doing things.”
According to Feethechildren.com, $40 could feed about 40 kids in the United States who face hunger every day.
People have also thought of cheaper ways of pampering themselves.
“I don’t really want to go to a manicurist,” senior Jessica Pfeifer said. “I wouldn’t like some stranger rubbing their hands all over mine. I’d just love to have Anna Hickert do it. She is amazing at nails.”
But whether people supported it or just thought it was a waste of time, the resounding response was summed up by senior Trevor Henningsen.
“If it makes them happy why not?” Henningsen said.

12kkrug@usd489.com