Teacher+Nathan+Howard+cuts+a+piece+of+metal.+The+metal+not+used+will+be+available+for+someone+else+to+use.+

Isabelle Braun

Teacher Nathan Howard cuts a piece of metal. The metal not used will be available for someone else to use.

Teachers give insight on Woodworking and Metals

Woodworking and metals are two classes that have been taught at Hays High for many years. This year, teacher Nathan Howard oversees them.

Throughout the year, Howard has three classes of woodworking and three of metals. The number of students in these classes is lower than one would expect.

“Woodworking is in the 20s,” Howard said. “Metals is down a little bit and we’re sitting at about 10 or 15 (students).”

The classes vary in the activities they do but not in the respect of making things.

“In intro to metals, the students work on sheet metal,” Howard said. “They work on different welding technique and forging. The advanced productions classes build projects using welding techniques.”

The classes are currently making chisels with the process called forging. Forging is when steel is heated until almost melting point and molded into the desired shape.

While different, woodworking classes are also currently completing their first project.

“We’re making end tables, their first intro product,” Howard said.

For some elective classes, one must have a prerequisite. These classes are no different.

“It is strongly suggested that they’re in industrial communications,” Howard said.

This class is taught by Chris Dinkel and classes are offered in the spring semester. Students learn technical communications, how to draw cabinets and basic mechanical objects, 3D drawing, solid modeling, and a small amount of screen printing.

“It’s a real broad class,” Dinkel said.

Howard said students should “come and check out the new things that are happening in the metals area.”

19ibraun@usd489.com

The Guidon Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in