Filed under Feature

Students balance learning and earning

Once students reach high school, they encounter a plethora of opportunities, not only for their education, but for career experience as well. However, trying to balance an extended list of extracurricular activities with a job can be an incredible challenge.

Students who take on this demanding task, like senior Caitlyn Scheck, feel as though the stress is worth the experience.

“It only really gets hard during finals or when I’m sick,” Scheck said. “It’s hard to please everyone.”

Scheck currently works two jobs and is a full-time high school student.

“Sometimes I have to take a step back and remember that I am a student first,” Scheck said. “If I need to call in to work, then that’s what I do. However, both of my jobs are very flexible and understanding with my schedule.”

As of now, Scheck works at C.S. Post & Co. and JD’s Chicken. She also spent some of her Winter Break working at the Golden Q.

Scheck said she handles the stress of being so busy by spending time with friends and family.

“If I feel myself getting stressed out I just try to remember that school and work are two different things,” Scheck said. “I have to remind myself that I need to go into both with a positive attitude. Being able to vent to my friends, boyfriend, and family is sometimes the best thing I can do.”

Scheck said she believes her jobs have prepared her for the real-world more than school ever could.

“I’ve learned how to balance accounts, make business deposits and do real world problem solving,” Scheck said. “I’ve learned how to do all of that while working under pressure. I feel like all of that is more useful in the real-world than what I’ve learned at school.”

Along with Scheck, freshmen Ashlyn Lutters and Easton Wamser hold jobs while still being full time students.

Lutters said she enjoys working because she has money to treat herself after a long day of school.

“It’s always fun to be able to go out with friends or go shopping,” Lutters said.

Even though she has a job and works every day after school, Lutters said she manages to keep her grades up.

“Normally the first thing I do when I get home is sit down and finish all of my homework,” Lutters said. “Having a job and still isn’t very stressful to me.”

Wamser said he also doesn’t feel much stress due to his job.

“Work doesn’t usually get in the way of my school stuff,” Wamser said. “I usually work weekends, so I have time for everything that has to do with school during the week.”

Lutters said having a job taught her important qualities that school doesn’t typically focus on.

“Jobs teach you how to be on time for things,” Lutters said. “I really think that students who have a job and are in school are getting themselves more prepared for the real world.”

20mweber@usd489.com