FCA offers religious opportunities for student athletes

Although separation of church and state is still alive and well, one religion-based club offered for student athletes is the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA).

Our FCA “huddle,” or group, meets every Friday morning before school prior to spring break. After spring break, FCA continues with leadership meetings.

A typical FCA meeting starts with a prayer followed by a devotional lesson and discussion. Student athletes also take time talk about teams and individuals within the school who need prayer. They then wrap up the meeting with a final prayer.

Coach Fred Winter is the FCA sponsor. His son, junior Connor Winter is currently involved with FCA.

“FCA is a chance to bring Christian athletes together,” Connor Winter said. “It strengthens our relationship with Jesus and with each other.”

FCA is an international non-profit organization based out of Kansas City. It was founded in 1954 and now involves over 12 thousand certified huddles in 47 countries.

According to FCA.org, the FCA’s values include integrity, serving, teamwork and excellence.

Its mission statement is “To present to coaches and athletes, and all whom they influence, the challenge and adventure of receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, serving Him in their relationships and in the fellowship of the church.”

Students such as Connor Winter feel that FCA provides an opportunity to better connect with their faith in a school setting.

“I’m personally in FCA because I need Jesus in my life,” Connor Winter said. “I need something to remind me how to act like Him in school, around my friends, and my teammates.”

For more information regarding FCA, contact Fred Winter at fwinter@usd489.com

18lgregory@usd489.com

The Guidon Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in