Filed under Feature

Students’ thoughts on school diversity

Hays High’s cultural diversity has been described as minimal, with white students being the most common. This is not just the surface-level opinion of students at hays high, but it is confirmed in statistic when looking at it by a numbers standpoint.

Based on statistics by Niche.com- a site that grades schools on their academic statistics as well as their diversity- the percentage of white students at this school is 83.1%, with Hispanic population of students being 9.9% and African American at only 1.3%. (not to mention the students who are a combination of several, with the multi-racial being 4.1%)

The number of students who are of non-white background is clearly few, but the opinions of them vary from person to person in the grade. There are a variety of experiences as well, some saddening.

Grace Moroni is a black freshman at Hays high. Despite being black, she has often been mistaken for being Hispanic by other students for unknown reasons. She has also been called a racial slur directed at Hispanics specifically.

“It’s pretty good.” said Moroni. “There are a lot of Hispanic, but also white kids here.”

Many students have had negative experiences in Hays, considering the political views and ideas associated with this area and its neighboring southern states. Since the inauguration of trump, tensions have obviously risen along with discrimination directed at students of Hispanic descent because of Trump’s anti-immigration policy.

Freshman Philip Ramirez is Mexican has been told “Go back to Mexico” or “where’s the deportation bus?” by another student at hays high, despite being born in the U.S. This happened only three months ago, around the same time as when Trump was inaugurated.

Philip adds, along with this his opinion of the diversity in school, that the diversity at hays high could be improved a lot. It seems that the racial discrimination of students should be improved, as well.

Tanner Callis is a senior at Hays High, and is mixed in his ethnic background with his father being white and his mother South Korean. He and his sister both represent a part of the school’s Asian population which, is the smallest statistic listed.

“I’ve never had issues with discrimination,” said Tanner.  “But I know that there are a lot of people who suffer from it.”

Tanner also agreed with previous opinions on diversity, saying that Hays High’s diversity could be much more than it is right now.

Despite being represented by a statistic, it is good to understand that minority students are not just numbers, but living and breathing parts of the school body that keep it afloat and make up what it is.  By hearing the voices of those who make up less of the student body, we can see how our school can be improved and the treatment of minority students improved, as well.

Freshman Philip Ramirez, who was interviewed about his experience.

1 Comment

One Response to “Students’ thoughts on school diversity”

1. Jimmie Roe on March 16th, 2017 4:23 pm

Grace Maroni is actually Filipino.

[Reply]

• Students’ thoughts on school diversity

Students prepare for assessments being taken throughout spring

A&E

“12 Angry Jurors” interactive slideshow

FCA offers religious opportunities for student athletes

Poultry contest puts Greenhand team in first, Senior team in second

Senior Adam O’Connor plans to stay involved in golf, football throughout life

Senior highly dedicated to Girl Scouts

Senior Kaely McKinney pursues cheer at collegiate level

Junior sets sights out of this world

“12 Angry Jurors” promo

State KMEA participants recap weekend

Students’ thoughts on school diversity