Gasper celebrates 12 years of teaching

Gasper celebrates 12 years of teaching

For the past 12 years, Bill Gasper has been the backbone of the student publications unit of the school. This past year, Gasper led his Guidon and Indian Call crews to win the All-Kansas awards as well as Sweepstakes award at the state journalism competition in Lawrence.

This accomplishment was a work in progress, as Gasper brought back the journalism department after it had been discontinued.

This wasn’t always Gasper’s plan.

“When I was a boy,” Gasper said. “I wanted to be a pro ball player. Then I realized I didn’t have the ability. I, then, decided I wanted to be on stage.”

Gasper originally went to Fort Hays State University for Theatre/Speech and Communications.

“At some point, as we all do, I realized I was a big fish in a small pond,” Gasper said. “After a year in theatre, I took an Intro to Journalism class. The instructor caught my attention and turned me towards it. “

He then forgot about theatre and went into journalism and English with the intent of teaching.

“I didn’t attend college immediately after high school,” Gasper said. “I worked in construction for a year. I then went to college for a while before dropping out to go to work and get married. I was working at a local service station in which I did a variety of jobs, including fixing truck and tractor tires. I realized I needed to fulfill my capabilities and went back to school at which time I did my student teaching and earned my degree in English/Journalism.

Gasper got sidetracked from teaching as he immediately accepted a job at the Leoti, Kan. newspaper as editor. He worked there a year before buying the Ellis Review newspaper. From there, he worked six years as manager of communications for a natural gas company in Nebraska and Colorado. He then purchased the Hoxie Sentinel and operated it and the Ellis paper.”

“In 2004, I sold the newspapers and started part-time as a substitute at Hays High, teaching newspaper and yearbook,” Gasper said. “The next year, I was offered a full-time position. I like teaching because it provides me the opportunity to teach young people a craft that has been an important part of my life. In addition, I get the opportunity to direct the spring play, which is another activity that I enjoy very much.”

17mcrees@usd489.com