Spring play auditions around the corner

Drama students are buzzing and newspaper teacher Bill Gasper is already nailing boards over his windows to hide from angsty teens with a grudge. This can only mean one thing: Spring play auditions are coming up.

“This is my second year trying out for the spring play,” sophomore Samantha Rohleder. “I’m really looking forward to it.”

According to Rohleder, the small, close-knit atmosphere creates a family feel that just can’t be matched by other school programs.

“There aren’t as many people who try out, and there’s a lot less drama,” Rohleder said. “I love everything about it.”

This year’s play is called “Virgil’s Family Reunion,” a sequel to the 2008 spring play, “Virgil’s Wedding.”

“I chose to do the sequel because I wanted to do a farce again,” Gasper, director of the spring plays, said. “I really liked the script. It’s hilarious.”

Gasper said that, while the cast will be completely different than that of “Virgil’s Wedding,” it will still be a Nogreat production.

“We have a lot of talent this year,” Gasper said. “It’ll have a different feel than ‘Virgil’s Wedding,’ but they’ll still be able to create the characters well. The kids will have fun producing it, and the audience will have fun watching it.”

Rohleder agrees that the spring play will be good.

“I’m really hoping it’s a lot like last year,” Rohleder said. “I thought it was really fun.”

According to Gasper, auditions will be done differently this year. The only people in the audition room will be himself, drama teacher Zach Butte, and 6 students at a time.

“We’re going to create audition groups this year,” Gasper said. “Six students will randomly be grouped together and try out at the same time. No one else will be allowed inside the room.”

The students will need to be prepared to play any role during auditions, no matter the gender.

“I want to see what they can do with what I give them,” Gasper said.

Callbacks will be on the second day of auditions.

“On the second day, I want to test the actors’ chemistry with each other,” Gasper said. “We’ll read from the play and see which people play which parts the best.”

Auditions will be held after school next Tuesday and Wednesday, January 17 and 18, in the Lecture Hall.

12lmarcotte@usd489.com