Students agree that boys, girls can be true friends

“And suddenly she realized she was in love with her best friend, the guy that had always been there for her.”

It sounds like every clichéd line from almost any teen romance book or movie plot line today. Only it may be more real than most people think.

He’s the best friend, the shoulder to cry on. She is the best listener, and she gives the best advice. They are best friends, but is there something more?

Some people may feel that they can’t have a good friend of the opposite sex because it would be awkward or that the other person will only think they want to date them. But quite to opposite is true. In many people’s opinion, having a good guy or girl as friends is something important.

“I definitely think that girls and guys can be friends and not go somewhere,” said junior Sydni Pfannenstiel. “As long as the boy and the girl are on the same page and know where they each stand, then being friends is great. Besides, as a girl, I think it’s great to have a good friend that’s a boy that you can talk to about other things, he can relate to other guys and tell you the truth on things.”

Guys are great as friends but can there be an ulterior motive?

“Well yea they can be just friends but other people will probably think differently of it,” junior Reily Kaus. “Some guys might see strings attached or be friends with a girl so they can date.”

But even with those few exceptions most people feel that they can trust a best friend, even if they are of the opposite sex. Having a diverse group of friends will open your eyes and your heart to many different opportunities. Guys will tell you how it is and be loyal and protect you. Girls will go shopping with you, help you with girl problems and keep your biggest secrets.

And sometime, those feelings turn into something more.

“Well in my opinion I think that if you have known that person for a really long time and you don’t feel that spark then your just friends, but there are some cases when you’ve known somebody who understands you best and knows how to make you feel better then there might be something there that you could turn into a deep relationship.” Senior Abbey Homburg said.

Girls and guys can be friends, but don’t be surprised if it turns into something more. Then again, it could be sweet and simple, you guys are just friends.