Junior Rylie Scott writes novel

You type the last sentence of your English essay. You’ve been editing and revising it for eternities, it seems. Writing isn’t really your favorite, so it’s nice to be finished.

While many students struggle to complete a three page persuasive essay for an English class, junior Rylie Scott has written an entire novel.

Scott didn’t have much writing experience prior to writing her book, and was only fifteen when she finished it.

“There wasn’t any person who inspired me to write,” Scott said. “I just sat down one day with an idea and it took off. I had never really written anything before that.”

Scott’s book, Adrienne’s Eyes, is about the main character’s self-discovery, and addresses the concept of appreciating your own life and what you have.

“The plot is difficult to explain,” Scott said. “The main character gets a chance to completely change her life around into everything she always dreamed of. However, it turns out that she just needed to appreciate her life more, and realize how to make the best of a situation.”

Scott appreciates writing because she feels it gives her freedom and control.

“My favorite thing about writing is how free it makes me feel,” Scott said. “When I’m writing, everything else disappears and I’m sucked into this alternate reality where I control everything.  It’s a nice feeling to know that whatever I want to happen, will.”

Scott’s novel isn’t published yet, but it’s being processed by publishers.

“This first publisher I had actually fell through because of miscommunication between my manager and the head of the company,” Scott said. “I have sent my book out again and it’s currently being considered by a bigger publishing company.  I’m still hoping this deal goes through. Needless to say, I got a new manager.”

Scott is optimistic for the future of her writing career and her novel.

“I write for fun and because it’s how I express myself,” Scott said. “If I’m lucky enough to have something more come from it and actually get to become a published author, then I can’t wait for the experiences. I can’t wait for the feelings of knowing people are reading my work.”

View Comments (1)