Filed under Feature

Student worships Flying Spaghetti Monster

Boyle has been a member of The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster since 2015.

Lizzy Lee

Lizzy Lee

In an average Kansas town like Hays, Christianity is very commonplace, but some people practice other religions, like the far less common Pastafarianism.

Freshman Kalyssa Boyle is a Pastafarian. She has been a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) since 2015.

“I discovered Pastafarianism when my friend that lives in Canada introduced me to it in 2015,” Boyle said. “He told me about an omnipotent Spaghetti being that doesn’t discriminate against anyone, and I immediately did my research. I started practicing that summer.”

Pastafarianism became popular in 2005 when Oregon State University physics graduate Bobby Henderson wrote an open letter to the Kansas Board of Education opposing the teaching of intelligent design and creationism in science classes.

In his letter, Henderson states that if schools are going to teach intelligent design in science classes they need to give an equal amount of time to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. He posted the open letter on his website (venganza.org) and it gained the attention of many.

“When I first joined, I definitely thought it was a fully satirical way to make fun of major religions,” Boyle said. “Now that I’ve been a member for a few years, I understand that while Pastafarianism may parody other religions, it still holds true to its teachings and functions without any need to poke fun at other religions. In fact, many people that follow other religions also follow Pastafarianism.”

Boyle grew up as a non-denominational Christian, and at the age of 11, became an atheist.

“I still partially identify as an atheist when relatives ask about my religious beliefs,” Boyle said.

Pastafarians have many beliefs that are solely unique to them. They also have many beliefs that are satirical takes on other religion’s beliefs.

One idea unique to Pastafarianism is the belief that everyone descended from pirates and a modern-day lack of pirates is what causes global warming.

Another of their ideas that mirrors Christianity is their “Eight I’d Really Rather You Didn’ts” which is similar to the Bible’s 10 Commandments.

“The Eight I’d Really Rather You Didn’ts explain a lot about our religion,” Boyle said. “Be nice, be respectful, don’t oppress people (specifically the FSM cares about misogyny), everything you do with another person must be fully consensual, and don’t waste money on temples or churches when it could cure disease or feed the hungry.”

Boyle is no stranger to judgement, which she often receives for following such an unusual religion.

“Yes, I receive a lot of judgement,” Boyle said. “My biggest pet peeve is when people know how important my religion is to me, then laugh at the idea of being in the Church of the FSM. From what I’ve experienced, people of the Christian faith judge me the most. My Jewish and Muslim friends actually respect my beliefs, but my Christian friends seriously judge me for it.”

Boyle’s mother supports her by asking her to pray for her and celebrating Pastafarian holidays with her. Other than that, the rest of her family is not supportive of her religion.

“Even though my mom celebrates certain things with me, the rest of my family sees it as a sick joke or me being a rebellious teenager,” Boyle said.

Many people change their religious views in some way or another over time, but with the open and accepting views of Pastafarianism, Boyle doesn’t see herself doing that anytime soon.

“I can honestly say that Pastafarianism will always remain a large part of my life,” Boyle said. “I’ve changed my religious beliefs before, and I know how difficult it is to adjust. Plus, with the openness of Pastafarianism and their acceptance of members with other religious beliefs, I can be both an atheist and a Pastafarian at the same time.”

[email protected]

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Student worships Flying Spaghetti Monster”

1. Matt on February 6th, 2018 11:31 am

This is a joke right?

[Reply]

2. Easten on February 6th, 2018 11:34 am

I didn’t know the Guidon did jokes now. A really great start if you ask me!

[Reply]

3. Kaiden Van Schuyver on February 7th, 2018 11:23 am

Why does the Guidon put an article that supports a religion that worships a Flying Spaghetti Monster, yet they bashed Trump’s comments after the Baptist Church shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas on November 6, 2017. Trump said “all of America is praying to God to help the wounded and the families we will never leave their side.” The Guidon made it clear that Trump should of never have said these words and that he should have left religion out of the problem. If the Guidon believes that the President should leave religion out, shouldn’t they do the same? Provided is the link to the article over Trump’s comments.

https://www.hayshighguidon.com/opinion/2017/11/10/trump-mentioning-religion-after-shooting-futile/

[Reply]

4. Easten on February 9th, 2018 12:43 pm

This is not a religion it is a cult, it merely plays off the weak minded. Don’t get me wrong, everyone should we allowed to worship what they want and who they want. But this is just so far stretched it’s hard to even comprehend. A cult is defined as follows (a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.) with this definition it makes it seem as if this religion is not and actual religion its a cult.

A United States District Court judge has ruled that Pastafarianism, the cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM), is not a religion. Judge Gerrard was not impressed by those offshore cases, quickly deciding that FSMism is a parody, not an actual religion. Nor was he impressed by Cavanaugh, who had a rather poor grasp on Pastafarianism’s key texts, which the judge took the trouble to read. But Gerrard also wrote “This case is difficult because FSMism, as a parody, is designed to look very much like a religion” and therefore worthy of close consideration of how far religious freedoms extend.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/14/flying_spaghetti_monster_is_not_god_rules_mortal_judge/

[Reply]

• Student worships Flying Spaghetti Monster

Eight students to take AP exams in May

StuCo app allows students to cash out points for different prizes

Chamber Singers excited for Dinner Show

13 Questions

13 questions with junior Alex Indina

Senior Night one of many lasts for seniors

2013 graduate Delphine Burns pursues careers in journalism, advocacy

High school students work for local businesses after school hours

Juniors place in top 16 at International Career Development Conference

Sports, clubs, work monopolize student after school time; participation gives students experience for future

Junior encounters great life experience over spring break