Filed under Reviews

‘It’ is a worthwhile adaptation

"It" is currently playing in theatres

"It" is currently playing in theatres

“It” is an adaptation of Stephen King’s novel of the same name. It follows the lives of seven children, deemed the Loser’s Club, dealing with the pressure of growing up, school, bullies and a demonic being that exploits fears, most often taking the form of Pennywise the Dancing Clown. While the novel follows two different timelines, the 2017 adaptations closely follows the Loser’s Club in their childhood.

The film stars Bill Skarsgård as the titular Pennywise and Jaeden Lieberher, Jeremy Ray Taylor, Sophia Lillis, Finn Wolfhard, Wyatt Oleff, Chosen Jacobs and Jack Dylan Grazer as the members of the Loser’s Club. The movie was directed Andy Muschietti, director of Mama, and was adapted for screen by Chase Palmer, Cary Fukunaga and Gary Dauberman.

This adaptation has had high expectations ever since it was announced. Fans of Stephen King and of the mini-series adapted from the novel in 1989, have eagerly anticipated this film all year. “It” has always been my favorite novel and Stephen King my favorite author, so I have been waiting for this movie ever since I found out it was being adapted and I was not disappointed.

One of the best parts of the whole movie was the performances, specifically the child actors. When it comes to young actors and horror movies, often it seems like the same performance just in different movies. However, with this cast, each kid brought something pivotal to the screen.

Skarsgård also delivered with his performance of Pennywise, especially with all of the weight of Tim Curry’s famed performance as the clown in 1989 weighing over his shoulders. He brought something new to the character and made it his own.

Another highlight was the script. Stephen King has a specific way of writing that can be hard to translate to the screen but the film perfectly captures the essence of childhood and adolescence in King’s works. I walked into this movie with caution and left with an overwhelming surge of joy and nostalgia.

I would highly recommend this film and would give it a 8/10. It’s not just a film scattered with jump scares, but a film with heart, suspense and, surprisingly, a lot of laughs. If you’re looking for in your face scary, this may not be the film for you. If you’re looking for a horror movie with substance and a good cast then you can see “It” at your local theatre.

18agonzalez@usd489.com