Centralized enrollment allows for parents to enroll all children in one place

Enrollment for all elementary schools, the middle and high schools was held in the cafeteria. This is the first year centralized enrollment has been done.

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

As the school year comes back around, enrollment may be a tough task for some parents. This year, however, USD 489 staff tried to make it a little easier on Aug. 1, 2 and 3 by using centralized enrollment.

This was the first-year enrollment had ever been put together like this, and this was decided because of many different factors.

“I think to make it easier for parents, especially if they had children at multiple buildings,” counselor Suellyn Stenger said. “Then they could just come to one and enroll all of the children. I think that was the focus, just to try and make it easier on the parents.”

As all elementary schools, the middle and high schools enrolled in the high school cafeteria, putting together enrollment took more than usual, such as technology and support in order for online enrollment to go smoothly and a lot of organization to get all of the schools in one centralized location.

While the process did end with students enrolled and things may have been simpler for some families, next year it may not stay this way.

“We are evaluating how it went,” Stenger said. “We will weigh the pros and the cons, and if we do continue it, we’re going to do what we can to make it even better.”

19ibraun@usd489.com