Students encounter famous people

Junior Zoe C. Martin poses with the members of R5 at a concert. Martin attended the R5 concert when she was 11 years old.

Courtesy Picture

Courtesy Picture

Many students have had great opportunities to meet celebrities throughout different activities they have been involved in or at concerts they have attended.

“I met Ross Lynch at an R5 concert when I was 11,” junior Zoe C. Martin said. “We had VIP tickets and got to take pictures with the band. It was really exciting meeting them even though it only lasted for two minutes.”

Senior Ivy Walker had the opportunity to meet pop singer David Archuleta at a meet and greet in Utah, and even had the chance to speak with him for a few minutes before he had to continue to the next person.

A couple years ago Walker’s brother, Max, also met Archuleta after Archuleta’s manager heard Max singing. The manager wanted the two to write a song together, and so the two singers met up for lunch to discuss a song. They never ended up writing the song.

Not every celebrity is a musician. Some students like junior Brooke Pflaum had the opportunity to meet Olympic gymnasts.

“The most famous people I have ever met were Bart Conner, Nadia Comaneci, and Jake Dalton, who are all Olympic gymnasts,” Pflaum said. “I met them at a gymnastics camp and they were there to help instruct us.”

Sophomore Megan Flavin has also met a potential Olympian Swimmer, Michael Andrew.

“I met him at a swim meet,” Flavin said. “I was swimming in Lawrence and he was competing there as well. It felt really cool to know that I had swam with someone who will probably swim in the Olympics.”

Some students have also been inspired by the celebrities they have met like senior Micheal Hernandez.

“The most famous person I’ve met is Jennette McCurdy,” Hernandez said. “I met her at boy scouts when I was little. It made me feel like I wanted to be like that when I grew up. So, from that point on, I wanted to be an actor.”

19rporter@usd489.com