Don’t fret, there’s still your whole life

What do you want to be when you grow up? In kindergarten, the options seemed endless. I could be an astronaut, a wildlife adventurer, a ballerina, or a super star.

I thought I could travel the world. I thought I could grow up and be a genius and come up with the cure for cancer. I wanted to spend a year in the rainforest, walking among the trees. I was six and all I could see in my future was time.

Now, as the years have passed by me, I feel like there isn’t enough of it. Each day I spend here in high school is a day I could be spending adding another amazing experience or adventure to my life. For a while now, all I’ve wanted is to someday grow old and have amazing exotic stories to tell my grandchild. I want to have done something with my life. I want to have a purpose.

I’m not one of those people who have it all planned out. I’m not going to have a five-year plan that I will stick to no matter what. I’m more of a go-with-the-flow kind of person. Taking life as it comes at me, riding the waves.

So here’s my opinion – high school students shouldn’t have to have it all planned out. All this planning, choosing and preparing is crazy. Sure, I think an education is essential, and that all students should push themselves, but only to better themselves. I don’t think that as a freshman, you should have to start deciding what you want to major in in college or where you want to go with your life.

I think too much planning is bad. It hinders the imagination and can crush your dreams. How can a person see all the endless possibilities when all they are focused on is their “plan?” Then comes the disappointment. Plans almost never work out the way they are supposed to, and that’s life. But what happens if you plan out your next five years around getting into some Ivy League college, and then don’t get in? With no plan B, you end up sad and disappointed.

So check out your options, and look at the future as a map with no designated course, not as a narrow road with a cliff on either side. It’s not always sink or swim. And remember all those things you wanted when you were six? Go for it, and let your imagination take you where it may.