Filed under Opinion

Vegan-shaming should be stopped

This+pasta+is+covered+in+a+tomato+cream+sauce.+The+sauce+contains+nutritional+yeast+to+give+it+a+cheesier+flavor+and+almond+milk+to+make+it+creamier.+
This pasta is covered in a tomato cream sauce. The sauce contains nutritional yeast to give it a cheesier flavor and almond milk to make it creamier.

Isabelle Braun

Isabelle Braun

Being a vegetarian for around six years allows for time to understand that when you tell people you’re a vegetarian, you’re going to get some comments.

While those comments may just be curiosity, there’s always going to be that one person who says something rude.

The same is true with veganism. As of this year, I have been a vegan. People often ask me how I’m alive, where I get my protein and if I ever really want a meat or dairy product. That doesn’t bother me.

What bothers me is when people think that it is okay to vegan-shame me. Don’t get me wrong, I can take it, and I do. However, I shouldn’t have to.

I chose to be vegan for many reasons. I don’t like how they treat animals, and to be honest, I feel better now that I’m vegan.

According to the United States National Library of Medicine, it has been found that vegans experience a 75 percent risk reduction of hypertension compared to non-vegetarians. Other risk reductions include a 78 percent for diabetes. Vegan males experience a 14 percent lower risk of all-cause mortality and a 55 percent risk reduction for ischemic heart disease.

While people will respond with facts such as that vegans experience a 73 percent high risk for urinary tract cancer, there are many things that show many benefits. To me, they greatly outweigh the fact that I may get urinary tract cancer.

Those who vegan-shame should realize that it is a person’s choice and should respect it. Not everyone understands it, but understanding everything isn’t what life is about.

19ibraun@usd489.com

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Vegan-shaming should be stopped”

1. Brad Ward on April 18th, 2017 9:36 am

Okay so Vegan-Shaming is wrong that is agreed. But I see it this way when Vegans shame others for what they do such as going off about how others treat animals (I have seen some and agree that it is wrong) but I get hate from Vegans for being a hunter and getting food myself which I do not see anything wrong with, we help with population control, we try and make the kill as clean and quick as possible, and we pay a lot of tax dollars to do what we do which those three things do not seem like much, but when you look at it, it is. So if you could give me some feedback on my opinion that would be wonderful. Thank you for your time.

[Reply]

Jess Reply:

You are totally correct! No one should be shamed for their personal life choices or beliefs. Unfortunately, there will always be people who need to judge other people for whatever reason.

[Reply]

• Vegan-shaming should be stopped

Opinion

Trump’s mention of religion after shooting futile

• Vegan-shaming should be stopped

Opinion

Crocodiles experience inhumane treatment

• Vegan-shaming should be stopped

Opinion

Spirit Day name changes unnecessary

• Vegan-shaming should be stopped

Opinion

Teens need to take charge of healthy eating

• Vegan-shaming should be stopped

Opinion

Spring break is a well deserved break for students

• Vegan-shaming should be stopped

Opinion

In honor of International Women’s Day: Date yourself, instead

• Vegan-shaming should be stopped

Opinion

Students deserve more freedom

• Vegan-shaming should be stopped

Opinion

Trump failing to protect women’s and minority rights

• Vegan-shaming should be stopped

Opinion

Respect people for differences instead of trying to change them

• Vegan-shaming should be stopped

Opinion

AP Government needs to be upgraded to year-long class

Vegan-shaming should be stopped