Weird sports rules cause clothing controversy

When looking at all the rules a sport may have, someone may find something just a bit odd. According to the rules and regulations of all sports, no metal is allowed on the athlete, but what about the metal spikes worn in cross country or the pins worn with numbers for track?  Those are allowed, but bobby pins are not.

If some people on a team decide to wear a black headband, they can only do so if everyone on the team wears the same black headband.  That goes for sports bras and spandex too.  If outerwear is to be worn, such as gloves and head gear, it must all match.

In the sport of cross country, a team is not allowed to travel outside the state just for practice.  There would be no time to practice and get back to town in time.  If a team lived on the border of a state, the rule would be understandable, but the land would be the same as it was in their hometown.

“If we lived on the border Colorado, I would want to be able to travel out and practice,” cross country coach Jerold Harris said. “Traveling to the mountains and getting some fresh air would be nice.”

“I don’t care about the jewelry rule,” Harris said. “I think they should be able to wear bobby pins because I don’t see that being bad.  I don’t think they should have to wear the same hairbands unless they’re the flowing ones. I’m not a big fan of the flowing ones.”

Another fall sport, volleyball, has some “different” regulations also.  If a sports bra is in view during play and while at rest, the team may have to consider redoing their uniforms.  An assistant coach is not allowed to stand up at all, except when allowed by a ref, or when spontaneously reacting to an outstanding play on their own team.  The assistant coach is only allowed to help from the bench while sitting down.

“If you got two coaches on the bench only one can be up” volleyball coach Ian Satomi said. “I think it’s a reasonable rule, because if you have two coaches up talking to the same player, who is that player going to listen to?”

In the game of football, the first practice is mandatory to be without pads. Three days later though, they can wear pads to practice.

“The state determines that based on the safety of the athletes,” Coach Ryan Cornelsen said. “They are trying to get them used to the heat before they allow full contact.  They now let them wear full contact gear at camps though without having that period without gear.”