Boys lockers get upgrade, girls lockers upgrade in the works

A number of girls have been riled up lately about the changes to the boys locker room which recently received new carpet, lockers and a plasma television.

The varsity girls locker room, meanwhile, has no new additions, but remodeling plans are currently in the works.

“The boys locker room has a TV yes but they use that for film,” freshman Wendy Zimmerman said. “Honestly, the only problem with our locker rooms is we have no space and we need way more stalls for showers. We fight over those a lot.”

Zimmerman said there really isn’t anything other than minor changes here and there that need to be done to the girls locker room.

“We have tiny, crammed lockers that we can’t fit anything in to,” sophomore Janae Gagnon said. “Everything they have is brand new and nice. There isn’t even a point in locking our lockers because they won’t close. The locker room pretty much needs to be completely redone.”

Gagnon also said the girls locker room still has cement floors and a toilet that doesn’t flush. She added that the walls in the locker rooms were newly painted in the boys locker room, while the girls still have plain maroon and white walls.

Coach Ryan Cornelsen said the plans are to remodel the girls locker room this summer, but no definite plans have been made.

“The funding that will come for remodeling the locker room will be split by fundraising between girls volleyball, basketball, soccer and track,” soccer coach Chris Michaelis said. “There have been several ideas thrown around between coaches, but nothing is set in stone. We want to do a lot of things to make the locker room better than it does now.”

Michaelis said some ideas are painting the walls, putting up new mirrors and getting carpet. He added the coaches want to hear from the girls and what they would like to see. The remodeling will take several stages because of financial reasons.

“Yes, we do have a TV in the locker room,” junior Joshua Miller said. “But, it is mainly used for watching film.”

Miller said he doesn’t know why the girls shouldn’t have anything the guys have in their locker rooms. He also said there shouldn’t be any more changes made the locker room.

“Yeah, I do think the boys locker room is better than the girls,” sophomore Adam Deterding said. “The reason we have better things is because we have fundraised to get what we want though.”

Deterding said the guys aren’t being favored by anybody. He said they raised all the money they needed and have used that for everything they have received. He does think some changes to the other boys locker rooms need to take place, but he doesn’t know about the girls because he has never been inside.

“I don’t think people realize that we aren’t taking money from the school or other sports,” Deterding said. “It’s all from our fundraising the money.”

Cornelsen said everything that has been redone in the locker rooms is 100 percent donation or from fundraising.

“The TV was split between boys football and boys basketball,” Cornelsen said. “And the carpet was 100 percent donation from an anonymous source.  Nothing has been paid for by the school at all.”