Clark drains three at buzzer for win

Sophomore Lane Clark buried a three as time expired to claim fourth place for the boys basketball team, 40-37, over Newton in the third round of the Hays City Shootout on Dec. 3.

The boys had held onto a small lead most of the game when Newton tied the game at 37-37 with under a minute to play before Clark made the game winning three-pointer.

Hays had another new starting line up in junior Derek Bixenman, sophomores Lane Clark, Kade Parker, Jordan Windholz and freshman Brady Werth.

At the end of the first quarter Hays led 11-8 fueled by three three-pointers.

Newton took the lead once in the second quarter, but Hays gained the lead back to go into the half with a 25-21 lead.

In the third quarter Newton outscored the boys 7-4, but Hays still lead 29-28.

The fourth quarter was a battle as both teams wanted the victory. Just as the game appeared to be heading into overtime Clark nailed the three for the win.

Bixenman lead the team in scoring with 11, Windholz had 9 and Parker added 7.

The next game for the boys is Tuesday, Dec. 6, against Colby.