Filed under Sports

Cross Country competes at Junction City meet

Corina Beam
Sophomore Yesenia Maldonado pushing through hot weather at Great Bend Invitational

Boys cross country took ninth out of nine teams. The girls took seventh out of eight. The girls had only one medalist and the boys had none. Sophomore Yesenia Maldonado took 18th overall. The boys best runner took 35th.

Maldonado ran a 22:08:00 which landed her in the only varsity medal spot for the girls. As a sophomore Maldonado has a lot of potential for future years. Senior Tana Herreman and freshman Claire Shippy followed shortly behind Maldonado. With Herreman being a senior this year Shippy is going to have to keep it up for next year.

“I am very satisfied with my team’s performance overall because everyone has been trying their best during the meets,” freshman Claire Shippy said.

Freshman Dawson VonFeldt ran 18:48:00 and still took 35th in the boys varsity division. VonFeldt is also very young and has a very bright future in cross country.

“I am very excited for next season because I now know what my weaknesses are from this season and I know how to fix those problems,” VonFeldt said.

19colson@usd489.com