Trashcan Band Performs

When people say band, the first things that come to mind are usually guitars, drum or basses. But trashcans? That isn’t the typical band but in 2007 students banded together to create the Hays High Trashcan Band. It’s comprised of buckets of all sizes, drumsticks, metal trashcans, lids and a lot of imagination. Each item has its own unique sound when hit in different ways, with different sticks. When the buckets and trashcans are hit, thrown, smacked or tossed in unison, it creates a performance and style unique to the band. The band is no stranger to performances. Their latest performance was at the Talent Show on Apr. 12 in the Gym but they performed twice before that this year at the Popcorn Concert and at a home basketball game. Members of the band include: Freshmen Austin Belden, Austin Petz, Rachel Moravek, Sara Schoenthaler, Paige Coffman, Sophomores Taylor Johnson, Laura Truman, Ashley Arthur, Juniors Erica Staab, Dallas Kaiser, Max Walker, Zach Kuntz, and Senior Sheldon Angle. All of the band members are part of the regular school band and have been in the Trashcan Band since they were freshmen. “Trashcan Band is a great way for us, as percussionist to show that we are also musicians,” Staab said. “A lot of the time people think all we can do is hit a triangle, but there is more to it than that. Being a part of this isn’t only fun, but is a great way to make unconventional music.”