Chamber Singers Dinner Show a Success

The Chamber Singers’ annual Dinner Show took place last Thursday, Friday and Saturday night in Gym B.

Music teacher Johnny Matlock said the show was a success.

“We had people saying that it was the best show in 10 or15 years,” Matlock said. “It was definitely one of the better shows.”

Senior Aubrey McGinnis, a two-year member of Chamber Singers, also said she was pleased with how well the weekend went.

“It went really well because of the theme,” McGinnis said. “It was more enjoyable because we could relate to the songs.”

The theme, “A Night on the Red Carpet,” featured hits from classic movies such as the Lion King, 27 Dresses, The Sound of Music, and Walk the Line.

Some student audience members said they thought the show went well.

“I liked it,” junior Sarah Malott said. “It was really good. All the numbers were fantastic.”

According to sophomore Megan Zeman, who has been in Chamber Singers for one year, the show went so well because of all the practice put into it.

“We practiced three times a day—before, during and after school,” Zeman said. “On normal nights, we got out at 10:30 or 11. The last night we got out at 1:30 a.m. It was tiring, but so worth it.”

Zeman said the entire project was a bonding experience for the choir.

“I’m close to people now that I wasn’t close to before,” Zeman said.

McGinnis said that, for her, Dinner Show brought personal growth.

“My favorite part was the fact that I got a chance to do a solo,” McGinnis said. “Before, I was always intimidated by upperclassmen.”

Matlock agreed that the Chamber Singers benefitted from the past weekend.

“We were trying to think outside the box,” Matlock said. “We had a good variety of songs. The audience loved the comedy and acting incorporated into the show.”

According to Matlock, the group sold about 250 tickets per night and had approximately 800 people see the show in total.

“It was a good way to end my music career at Hays High,” McGinnis said.

12lmarcotte@usd489.com