Straub named new HHS principal for next year

Assistant Principal Marty Straub has been named the new Hays High School principal effective for the 2013-14 school year.

The announcement came during the USD 489 Board of Education meeting on Sept. 17. Straub will replace Mike Hester, who previously announced he would be retiring at the end of this year. Straub’s position will not be filled, effectively reducing the administrative positions at Hays High from four principals to three.

“During the past several months, since Mike announced he was leaving at the end of the current school year, I have had many conversations with the Board, individually with all members of the district administrative team, and informally with Hays High staff about filling Mike’s position,” Superintendent Will Roth said. “Based on those discussions, we have decided not to fill the fourth administrative position at Hays High.”

Roth said the fourth position was added when enrollment at HHS was over 1,100 students.

“Now the enrollment is hovering around 800,” he said. “We know that number will increase; we have the students in the lower grades. As enrollment increases it will be my recommendation that we gradually increase administrative time until we surpass the 1,100 mark again at which time it should justify another full time administrator.”

Roth said the district is fortunate to have the three administrators continue at Hays High next year and expressed his confidence that Straub would do a good job.

“Marty has the respect of the Board, other members of the administrative team, members of the HHS staff I have visited with, and the public,” Roth said. “He has proven himself as a man of integrity, who cares about all of our students. He will do an outstanding job as the next principal of HHS.”

Roth expressed his appreciation for Hester’s years of service.

“I want to thank Mike for his years at HHS and wish him well in the future,” Roth said. “I look forward to having a great finish this year as he ends his tenure at HHS. Having Mike and Marty both at HHS this year should provide for a smooth transition to next year, as both Mike and Marty work to make that happen.”