Band and Dance Team Perform at WAC

On Tues. Oct. 16, the band and dance team boarded buses and left for Garden City. Upon arrival, they changed into their uniforms, warmed up and performed in the annual Western Athletic Conference, or WAC, marching competition.

“The band is judged on marching and maneuvering, music, general effect, percussion and auxiliary,” band director Craig Manteuffel said. “Overall, we received a rating of an excellent II rating.”

A total of seven bands performed at the WAC festival. All contestants were high school bands. Holcomb received a III, Cimarron II, Hays II, Great Bend II, Liberal I, Dodge City I and Garden City II.

“I was happy with our WAC performance,” Manteuffel said. “We still have improvements to make in the areas of marching and general effect, but we are gaining momentum.”

This years’ marching routine differs from others in the past in several ways.

“We added a flag corps feature as our second piece, so this year we are performing four pieces instead of our normal three pieces,” Manteuffel said. “Memorization has been an issue since we are playing more music.”

The band performed selected pieces of ‘La Fiesta del Tigre’, ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest’, along with a performance from the Dance Team, ‘Pirates of the Caribbean Part 3’ and ‘New World Symphony.’ Featured drum-line pieces included ‘Sledge,’ ‘Tuckers’ and ‘Bump and Grind.’

“The hardest part of the show was probably New World Symphony, because I wasn’t quite used to it yet,” sophomore Ashley Cossaart said. “But I loved getting to perform and watch the other bands.”

In past years, band and dance team have impressed crowds with continued I and II ratings. Manteuffel says he enjoys watching the band progress from the start of the year.

“It is fun to watch the progress of the students from August to October,” Manteuffel said. “I really think our opener is great this year.  It has high energy and I always like marching and teaching step-two drills and pinwheels.  I am old school I guess.”

14awalters@usd489.com