DECA launches campaign against domestic violence

DECA is conducting a Public Relations Project this year to increase knowledge about domestic violence and dating awareness.

“Our campaign is entitled ‘What is love?’ and was designed to make eighth graders at Hays Middle School aware of proper actions to take in both current and future relationships.”

Project co-chairs Lexsie Ditter and Taylor Hodny have been working to complete the goal of raising awareness of relationship abuse at the middle school level. This is in order to decrease the number of statistics of injuries and deaths due to these issues and make people more aware that these issues exist everywhere.

“This project made me aware that all these problems were happening in women’s lives. I think this new awareness can help young girls get out of these situations or stay away from them completely,” DECA member Ashley Curry said.

DECA has worked to organize an entire week targeted toward reaching the eighth graders of Hays Middle School.  On Feb. 4, an assembly was held at Hays Middle School in the morning where they talked about their campaign and the importance of the students’ involvement.  They invited Curt and Christie Brungardt to speak about their personal campaign, ‘Jana’s Campaign’, which strives to stop domestic violence.  On Feb. 5, DECA members handed out candy boxes with statistics and facts about dating violence.  They then asked the students to sign pledge cards on Feb. 6 stating that they will strive to respect themselves and those who they are in relationships with.

Students in DECA are working to raise awareness for not only Hays Middle School students, but anyone else their campaign may reach.  DECA is designating Feb. 14 as ‘What is Love?’ day at Hays High.  They hope to continue reaching out and giving information about this issue throughout this year and involving a larger part of the community next year.

13dbrissonburns@usd489.com