AP Government class creates campaign ads

Seniors Raina Basso, Cassy Quinby and Courtney Molleker present their issue ad to the class.

AP American Government students participated in creating a campaign ad.

“So far, all of the ads I’ve seen this year have been really good,” AP American Government instructor Abby Maska said.

For the assignment, students in groups were required to create a 30 second issue ad using some type of political propaganda. The groups also had to create a fake organization with their own mission statement to include with their ad.

One of these groups included seniors Anniston Weber, Madison Crees and MKilar Otte.

“We decided to do our ad over potential vice president Mike Pence,” Otte said. “Our issue was over Pence’s disdain for the LGBTQ community. This is important to me, considering I’m gay.”

The name the group chose for their organization was “The Coalition for LGBTQ+ Rights”.

Seniors Cassy Quinby, Raina Basso and Courtney Molleker worked together as a group for this project.

“We chose to do our video over education,” Quinby said. “Since we’re still in school, education is kind of a big deal to us.”

Quinby said it took the group about a week to complete the ad.

Seniors Rachelle Lumpkins, Alayna Arnhold and Joe Factor made their ad based on allegations against the 2016 presidential nominee, Trump.

“We obviously wanted to do something relevant to what was currently going on in the election,” Lumpkins said. “Our organization, “The United States Center Against Walls”, was created because all of us believed that the things Trump has said are very racist.”

Maska said each student who participated in the assignment put a good deal of effort into their project.

“This was a really fun thing for us to do,” senior Jeanie Balzer said. “We did our ad over the importance of making school start times later. I think this project was a great way for us to learn how to create issue ads, and to raise our grades.”

17aweber@usd489.com