Students compete at regional science fair

February 26, 2018

Cheryl Shephard-Adams

Freshmen Camry Young, Callie Raacke, Anna Brull, and Alicia Feyerherm pose for a picture before the science fair. Freshmen Audrey Rymer and Emily Kreutzer also competed.

Fort Hays State University held the 10th annual Science and Engineering Fair on Feb. 24. Six Hays High freshmen attended.

Every year, instructor Cheryl Shephard-Adams has her freshmen Honors Integrated Science classes design a project and write a research report at the end of the first semester. The project starts right after Thanksgiving break and lasts until winter break.

If the student received higher than an 82 percent on the project, they were eligible to take their project to the science fair.

Participating in the Science Fair was not required, but 50 points of extra credit was offered for students who did.

Camry Young, Audrey Rymer and Emily Kreutzer were awarded silver medals. Callie Raacke, Anna Brull and Alicia Feyerherm were awarded gold medals and are eligible to take their projects to the Kansas State Science Fair on April 6 in Wichita.

“My project was testing to see whether or not texting affects a person’s reacting time,” Young said. “I decided to attend the science fair because my teacher was offering extra credit, but I surprisingly did enjoy participating in the science fair. It was a great experience, I learned a lot and I would probably do it again if I was ever offered the opportunity.”

21abrull@usd489.com