Filed under News, Top Stories

Students participate in meetings with community members, push plans forward for community improvement

Senior Lisa Schoenberger and Principal Martin Straub look over the handout for the Neighborhood Project. The project was put together by a committee with the intent to bring together members of our community.

Isabelle Braun

Isabelle Braun

The third Strategic Doing meeting took place on March, 12 at 6:30 p.m. at the Robbins Center. During this meeting, participants discussed plans for future projects they planned to take on.

Three high school students attended the meeting and gave their input on the upcoming developments.

“This is my second Strategic Doing meeting with the community, but we’ve had separate meetings with our groups that I’ve gone to,” junior Kayli Potter said. “We’re working to get the community more involved and give them more knowledge of our school and our situation with over-crowded classrooms, and how we can improve our current learning space.”

Potter learned of the meetings through a friend, but senior Lisa Schoenberger has been involved since the first one because of DECA.

“I’m on the business recruitment (committee),” Schoenberger said. “We are opening a shared workspace for individuals in the community who originally work from home and need someplace else to work or get out into the community and network with others.”

Other projects include the expansion of the pond at Vineyard Park so more people can fish and the Neighborhood Project, which would be put in place to welcome those who are new to the community and for community members to get to know each other.

“I really enjoy them (the meetings),” Schoenberger said. “I like being a part of my community and helping make it better so the future generations can stay rather than run off.”

[email protected]