Filed under Top Stories

Band hosts annual popcorn concert

The Hays High band performed in the 31st popcorn concert on March 13th. The concert was held in the gym.

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

The Hays High School band hosted its 31st Popcorn Concert on March 13 under the direction of instructor Matthew Rome.

The annual event started in 1987 under the direction of Mr. Bob Stutterheim. Instructor Craig Manteuffel continued this event, and after he retired, Rome decided to continue the concert.

Jazz Band performed “Funk Zone” by Doug Beach and George Shutack, “When I Fall in Love,” by Skeffington and “It Don’t Mean a Thing” by Taylor.

Concert Band performed “Brighton Beach” by William Latham, “Simple Gifts” by Frank Ticheli, “This Cruel Moon” by John Mackey and “Rhythm of the Winds” by Frank Erickson.

“I was very impressed with both the turnout and the enthusiasm of the audience during the concert,” Rome said. “It is fun to play for the home crowd.”

Freshman Ashley Vilaysing performed in her first Popcorn Concert this year.

“My favorite song was either ‘This Cruel Moon’ or Rhythm of the Winds,’” Vilaysing said. “I had some solo in ‘Cruel Winds’ and “Rhythm of the Winds’ was just really fun to perform. I am most definitely looking forward to next year’s concert.”

Rome was impressed with the performance and is looking forward to next year’s concert.

“I’m very proud of the Hays High School band program; the Concert Band played some very demanding literature and rose to the occasion in a big way,” Rome said. “For example: Ticheli’s ‘Simple Gifts’ is a four-movement work, that in total, lasts approximately 12 minutes. It has been so fun to watch the group mature both as people and musicians over the course of this year, and I am quite optimistic for what the future holds.”

[email protected]