Filed under Top Stories

Current Issues students to present projects at April 27 Art Walk

Freshman Caden Riat works on his project in Current Issues. Riat is doing a photography project over deforestation.

Anna Brull

Anna Brull

This semester, Current Issues students are working on a large group project that will be displayed during the Hays Art Walk on Apr. 27.

“Last year several of my classes teamed up with Jana’s campaign to exhibit student work with a focus on domestic abuse and by-stander awareness,” instructor Codi Fenwick said. “This year, we are not teaming up with an outside organization cause. Instead, Current Issues students have the freedom to choose the cause, event or issue on which their topic will focus.”

“Students are required to first complete a graphic organizer utilizing the class research template,” Fenwick said. “Then students create art in any form of their choice. Accompanying the art on display is a plaque which lists the students and explain the theme, message and impact of their issue.”

The project is worth 600 points and will be graded on the quality of completion, substantial content relating to current issues and the overall appeal of the artwork.

Some groups are using posters while others plan on using three-dimensional art like welding, pottery and papier-mâché. Students had to have at least one partner, but many groups have more.

“It is very exciting to see the various projects and the different views,” Fenwick said. “Many students are using this project to voice their concerns and opinions with themes like school safety, abortion, gun control and foreign affairs. The best projects are the ones that students have customized to their own individuality.”

[email protected]