“12 Angry Jurors” promo

A young man stands accused of murder. The trial is almost over. Eleven jurors are in the jury room, ready to convict. One of them, however, is not so sure.

Tempers rise and passions flare as the case is re-litigated.

Reginald Rose’s compelling courtroom drama, “12 Angry Jurors,” will be presented by Hays High School at 7 p.m. on March 16-18 at 12th Street Auditorium.

“The original title, of course, was ‘12 Angry Men,’ but we changed it to reflect the mixed gender of our cast,” director Bill Gasper said. “Many of us first read this play in our literature books in high school, but it continues to be a relevant story today.”

The play revolves around Juror 8, who casts the lone not guilty vote, saying that she wants to visit about the case before sentencing a young man to a mandatory death penalty.

“It is during this discussion that we begin to see signs of bias and prejudice and the effect of peer pressure and how it can influence others into going against their conscience,” Gasper said. “When the play was written in the 1950s, the struggle for racial equality was very prevalent in American society, and I think that theme is very evident in this play.”

Because women were not universally accepted on juries in every state until the 1970s, Gasper said the play has been set in 1997, similar to a remake of the movie starring Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott. The original movie was made in 1957 and starred Henry Fonda. It also enjoyed a Broadway run in the early 2000s and continues to be a popular play with high schools, colleges and community theaters.

“In the past, I have only directed comedies, so this is my first attempt at a drama,” Gasper said. “From a production standpoint, this was a challenging play to produce. Actors had to memorize long speeches, some more than a page long. There are also lengthy periods of inactivity where actors have to stay focused and in character. I’m proud of their efforts and the time they spent on and off the stage.”

Student tickets are $3 in advance or $4 at the door, adult tickets are $5 in advance or $6 at the door.

Show dates are March 16-18 at 7 p.m. at 12th Street Auditorium.

3 Comments

3 Responses to ““12 Angry Jurors” promo”

1. benny titterington on March 7th, 2017 12:14 pm

man i am really looking forward to seeing this it looks good from the promo it gave me chills on my body

[Reply]

2. Jessica McGuire on March 8th, 2017 7:11 am

Looks like it’s going to be great! Can’t wait to see it!

[Reply]

3. Jane Rorstrom on March 11th, 2017 3:22 pm

I had the privilege of seeing one of the dress rehearsals last Thursday. It is very well done. Dare I say the ” bad lanquage” shows the character of one of the jurors. Mr. Gasper is correct that it is not easy to pull off. The students do a very good job keeping you engaged however. The ending truly did give me goose bumps. This is not a play for children. It is however very high quality live theater. I think you will be moved, impressed and maybe even have ” goose bumps” in the end. It also was a good reminder of how blessed we are in this country to have a legal system that tries to give a defendant a fair trial and that being a juror is not an easy job, but also is a privilege. You will be glad you came to see it!
    From a proud mom!
    Jane Rorstrom

[Reply]

• “12 Angry Jurors” promo

Students prepare for assessments being taken throughout spring

• “12 Angry Jurors” promo

A&E

“12 Angry Jurors” interactive slideshow

• “12 Angry Jurors” promo

Students’ thoughts on school diversity

• “12 Angry Jurors” promo

FCA offers religious opportunities for student athletes

• “12 Angry Jurors” promo

Poultry contest puts Greenhand team in first, Senior team in second

• “12 Angry Jurors” promo

Senior Adam O’Connor plans to stay involved in golf, football throughout life

• “12 Angry Jurors” promo

Senior highly dedicated to Girl Scouts

• “12 Angry Jurors” promo

Senior Kaely McKinney pursues cheer at collegiate level

• “12 Angry Jurors” promo

Junior sets sights out of this world

• “12 Angry Jurors” promo

State KMEA participants recap weekend

“12 Angry Jurors” promo