Student participates in Race for the Cure

Sophomore Shyann Schumacher walked with her family on Saturday, May 6. There were approximately 300 participants in the event.

Courtesy photo

Courtesy photo

The Race for the Cure occurred Saturday, May 6. This year, one student chose to take time out of her day to participate in the walk.

“The Komen Race for the Cure was a fundraiser to raise money to support finding a cure for breast cancer,” sophomore Shyann Schumacher said.

Schumacher participated with her family because she’s seen the effect breast cancer has had on families.

“The event was fun for me because I participated in it with my family,” Schumacher said. “The weather was wonderful that morning.”

The event brought in approximately 300 participants. With a 5K run and walk, the winners were two from out of town who came especially for this event. There were also cheerleaders from Fort Hays, Victoria and Hays High.

“We got dressed up in our uniforms, and we had to cheer while the runners were running,” junior Tara Hertel said. “I thought it was really fun, and I’m glad that we could do it for a good cause.”

Both the varsity and junior varsity squads cheered for the runners as the event took place.

The event is put together every year to honor those who have battled breast cancer.

“My family participated in the walk in memory of my grandmother who died from breast cancer when I was nine,” Schumacher said.

19ibraun@usd489.com