Journalism staff tries to gain badges of accomplishment by using social media

The Guidon staff is working toward gaining a badge. The badge will allow for judges to see the work put into the website.

Google Images

The Guidon has a few social media accounts that are used to boost readership.

Junior and online editor Isabelle Braun is one of the people who maintains the social media accounts.

“This year, we are using social media because we are trying to get badges,” Braun said. “The social media one is audience engagement, so we have to have two different social media accounts and need a total of 1,000 followers on the two accounts. We’re looking forward to earning that badge.”

Badges are awarded by School Newspapers Online (SNO). They are a part of the recognition program put together by SNO. Braun says that when a high school online receives a badge, it is a sign of achievement.

“Getting these badges is going to really help us out,” Braun said. “When the judges look at our online, they’re going to see that we put real effort into making our online one of the best.”

Staff reporter and sophomore Madison Weber is the other person to run a social media account, with that being Snapchat.

“I chose to take over the Snapchat account because I am very big in the social media world,” Weber said. “It just made sense for me to take over. Snapchat is an app that is so common for adolescents. Facebook is barely used by teens. Although we have other social media accounts such as Twitter and Instagram, it’s more interactive by using Snapchat.”

Braun says that students should follow the accounts.

“It would really help us out if students followed the Guidon back on any social media,” Braun said. “We’re trying to get this badge, and in order to do that, we need the student body to help.”

19ischindler@usd489.com