Filed under Opinion

Trump’s mention of religion after shooting futile

Trump addresses his remarks to the nation from Tokyo on Nov. 6.

REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

President Donald J. Trump addressed a shocked nation during his first stop in Tokyo after a gunman killed 25 people and injured 20 others at a Baptist church in Sutherland Springs, Texas on Nov. 6.

Trump claimed at the end of his speech that “all of America is praying to God to help the wounded and the families we will never leave their side.”

Not everyone in America is doing this. According to a Pew Research Center research study, about 23 percent of Americans are agnostic, atheist or unreligious. Even though America has had a stronghold on Christianity for the last 200-plus years and was founded on certain Christian principles, people are changing their religion.  The demographic is changing. Trump shouldn’t just assume people practice the same religion just because this happened in a place of worship.

Trump should never have said these words. Even though his conservative agenda calls a stop to political correctness, there is a time when it should be used. Trump and his cabinet should not have a bias towards religion during a time when tragedy strikes, especially if it happens in a place of worship.

Even though this is a tragedy, religion isn’t going to solve any problems by praying for the victims and hoping the wounded get better. Only the government has the power to redact and recall certain laws and amendments in order to prevent a tragedy like this from happening. Mentioning of religion should be kept out of the government.

19ischindler@usd489.com

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Trump’s mention of religion after shooting futile”

1. Landon on November 10th, 2017 2:16 pm

About 78% of Americans conducted under a 327,000 person study considered themselves Christian. He doesn’t have to leave out God just because of the fact that some people don’t believe in God. It’s like separation of church and state. That’s not a law. It was in a letter that Jefferson wrote a long time ago.

And yes, this did happen in a place of worship. But it wouldn’t have made a difference if this had happened at a concert or another location. What’s next. Are we going to condemn the President for saying “God Bless America” too?

“Religion isn’t going to solve any problems by praying for the victims and hoping the wounded get better.” That is faith. Some people have a faith and others don’t. Be acceptant of other people even if they don’t believe in what you do.

[Reply]

Gabriela Arthur Reply:

^Agreed

[Reply]

2. Matt Fross on November 10th, 2017 11:04 pm

Well since this is America we have this thing called the 1st amendment which allows him to say these kind of things and other people shouldn’t be trying to filter him just because they don’t like what he is saying.

[Reply]

3. Zac Wyse on November 16th, 2017 10:32 am

I agree with the comments above religion and God run this country and just because the minority of Americans don’t believe in anything doesn’t mean they should speak out in dominance against the majority because they don’t have evidence to back up their statements.

[Reply]

Sawyer Moore Reply:

The comments above never once proposed the notion that “religion and god run this country”. They said the major part of the populous are christian, and that trump had a right to bring god into his speech. That is literally it. Now , what evidence do you have to support your statements? The amount of Christians? Riddle me this, sir. Does America have an official religion? I thought not. No deity or religion run this country.

[Reply]

• Trump’s mention of religion after shooting futile

Opinion

Crocodiles experience inhumane treatment

Opinion

Spirit Day name changes unnecessary

Opinion

Teens need to take charge of healthy eating

Opinion

Vegan-shaming should be stopped

Opinion

Spring break is a well deserved break for students

Opinion

In honor of International Women’s Day: Date yourself, instead

Opinion

Students deserve more freedom

Opinion

Trump failing to protect women’s and minority rights

Opinion

Respect people for differences instead of trying to change them

Opinion

AP Government needs to be upgraded to year-long class