“Li’l Abner” Auditions Commence

Musical auditions for the production “Li’l Abner” begin tonight at 6:30 at 12th St. Auditorium. At this audition, students must sing songs from the musical selected by director Johnny Matlock.

With musical auditions just around the corner, Matlock is anticipating a talented group of performers.
“Every year it is so neat to see all the talent,” Matlock said. “We are blessed with top-notch students, so I thoroughly enjoy watching auditions.”

Tomorrow, students must return to 12th St. and perform a monologue for the acting portion of their audition.

Wednesday, dance auditions will be held in the auditorium at 3:30. Finally, Thursday students who receive a call back will perform a follow-up audition at 7 pm at 12th St.
According to Matlock, the week of auditions can be stressful.
“I always get excited before auditions and can’t sleep,” Matlock said. “It also gets difficult Thursday night, following callbacks. The directions agonize over casting, and it is another sleepless night.”
Matlock said that the most important part of auditions is experiencing growth.
“Auditions are a wonderful opportunity for learning,” Matlock said. “I keep reminding myself of this aspect. They are important to a successful show. Placing each student where they can affect the show the greatest is our goal.  The directors truly care for each student and know that his is an anxious time for each of them. We try to keep our heads on the target of having an outstanding show. We are interested in the big picture and try to create an audition environment where each student is affirmed. Each student is treated as most important.
Matlock also said that auditioning is important in the context of the show.
“We realize that audition week is not detached from opening night,” Matlock said. “The show has already begun. We are a cast.”

13dbrissonburns@usd489.com