Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Students purchase Scout Perryman for President merchandise

Juniors Shyann Schumacher, Isabelle Braun, Scout Perryman, Cade Swayne, Spencer Wittkorn and Cameron Karlin smile in their printed shirts and hoodies.

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Throughout high school, many fads may come and go. This year, an inside joke between junior friends Scout Perryman, Spencer Wittkorn, Cade Swayne, and Cameron Karlin blew up into possibly this year’s biggest trend.

“I was playing a video game and then I said to Spencer, Cameron and Cade ‘Hi, my name is God Perryman.’” Perryman said. “Then Spencer said ‘that’s really funny, we should put it on a t-shirt.’”

And putting it on a t-shirt is exactly what he did.

Before printing the shirts, the friends decided change the original slogan. Wittkorn changed it to “Scout Perryman for President.”

“He didn’t know what president, I didn’t know what president, but it stuck,” said Perryman. “And that’s how they were made.”

When the shirts and hoodies were first made, Perryman believed that they were to remain a funny inside joke between friends, but that did not hold true.

“Spencer wore it [the hoodie] to band, and 90 million band kids were like ‘Hey can I have that sweatshirt,’” Perryman said. “Then Spencer said sure and he sold them.”

Perryman did not expect the merchandise to become so popular.

“I didn’t really want the sweatshirts to be as big of a thing as they were,” Perryman said. “I just wanted it to be a thing between friends, but then it didn’t turn out to be a funny joke between friends. It became a semi-funny joke between a bunch of people.”

Wittkorn has made upward of $200 from the merchandise Perryman said.

“He has officially announced that he is going to be giving me 25 percent of the profits,” Perryman said. “I’m going to give that away to Charity: Water.”

Wittkorn has been taking orders for the shirts and hoodies totaling around 30-35 orders priced at $10 for the shirts and $20 for the hoodies.

Throughout the process of making the shirts and hoodies, there were some difficulties.

“The white hoodies were out of stock,” Wittkorn said. “Every single place that sells hoodies was out of small and medium white hoodies, so now we have to get the ash-colored hoodies. The people that ordered them said they were okay with that.”

Until further notice, Wittkorn has stopped taking orders for the hoodies and shirts.

“I’m trying to get all of the original sweatshirts done but after that I’ll probably take more [orders],” Wittkorn said. “After Winter Break I’ll get more orders from people in.”

19kpotter@usd489.com